Raspberry & Sweet Chilli Jam
- 200g long red chillies (about 8-10 chillies)
- 8 small bird’s eye red chillies
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 5 cups caster sugar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 x 300g boxes Creative Gourmet frozen Raspberries
- Halve chillies lengthways and remove seeds. Roughly chop and place in a food processor. Add onion and process until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add chilli and onion mixture. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar and lime juice. Stir until sugar dissolves and bring to the boil. Stir in frozen raspberries. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 45-50 minutes until thick and syrupy.
- Spoon hot jam into hot sterilized jars. Cover with lids. When cool, seal and refrigerate. Store in the fridge and use within 6 weeks.
- This spicy jam goes well with cold cuts of ham, turkey or pork. You can add it to burgers, baguettes and serve it with barbecued fish.
- For a spicier chilli ‘kick’, add an extra 1or 2 small red chillies.
If you prefer not to sterilize jars, spoon the hot relish into a clean airtight jars (wash them in the dishwasher) and store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
- Health tip – Sugar substitute does not work in jams and preserves as the sugar is required as a gelling agent as well as a preserve. The great thing about this chutney is, it’s so spicy and flavoursome you don’t need much to add a good punch to your meal!