Blueberry & Ricotta Hotcakes
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 5 min
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 150g fresh full fat ricotta cheese, roughly crumbled
- 1 cup Creative Gourmet frozen Blueberries + extra to serve
- 75g butter, for pan-frying
- Maple syrup and/or sifted icing sugar, to serve
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Whisk buttermilk or milk, egg yolks and ricotta in a jug until well combined. Using a large metal spoon, fold buttermilk mixture through dry ingredients.
- In a clean bowl, beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, fold one-third of the eggwhites through the batter until combined. Gently fold in remaining eggwhites. Stand mixture for 10 minutes. Swirl through frozen blueberries.
- Heat 25g butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Using about 1/3 cup of batter per hotcake, spoon mixture into pan and cook hotcakes in 3 batches for 2-3 minutes on each side until pale golden. Wipe pan with paper towel and repeat to make 12 hotcakes.
- To serve, stack hotcakes on serving plates, dust with icing sugar and/or drizzle with maple syrup. Serve sprinkled with a few extra just-defrosted frozen blueberries.
- Buttermilk gives these hotcakes a lovely light texture. They’re fabulous for a weekend breakfast or brunch.