Mixed Berry Compote with Maple Syrup Granola
Mixed berry compote
- 500g bag Creative Gourmet frozen Mixed Berries
- 1/3 cup fresh apple juice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry roasted or blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pepitas (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup rice bran oil or sunflower oil
To serve, thick natural yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. To make compote, place frozen berries, apple juice and caster sugar into a medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes until just warmed through. Set aside to cool.
- To make granola, combine oats, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Add maple syrup and oil, stir until granola mixture is evenly coated. Spoon evenly onto 2 lightly greased baking trays lined with baking paper. Bake granola, lightly tossing once, for 25-30 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool completely on trays.
- To serve, spoon granola into serving bowls or glasses, top with yoghurt and spoon over the mixed berry compote.
- Per serve: 2622kJ, protein 12.3g, total fat 45.6g (sat. fat 3.8g), cholesterol 0mg, carbs 42g, fibre 9.7g, sodium 7.1mg. GI estimate: low
- Health tip – if you want a quicker and lower energy breakfast option, try a natural muesli, skipping the oil and baking process, and halving the nuts taking it down to
Per serve: 1525kJ, protein 8.5g, total fat 18g (sat. fat 1.8g), cholesterol 0mg, carbs 41g, fibre 7.7g, sodium 6.4mg. GI estimate: low
- If you want a quick and low energy option, try a natural muesli, skipping the oil and baking process, and halving the nuts.
- Make the granola up to 2 weeks in advance and store in an airtight container at room temperature. Store the berry compote in the fridge for up to 5 days. It’s then ready to serve for a nutritious breakfast.
- Pepitas are pumpkin seeds with the husks removed.