- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g mascarpone
- 2 ½ cups strong espresso coffee, cooled
- 125ml Tia Maria or Kahlua liqueur
- 500g thick sponge finger (Savoiardi) biscuits
- 600g Creative Gourmet frozen Mixed Berries
- Cocoa powder, to serve (optional)
Products Used In This Recipe:
- Using electric hand beaters, beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in mascarpone. In another bowl, beat eggwhites until firm peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold eggwhites through mascarpone. Set aside.
- Combine coffee and liqueur in a 4-cup shallow dish. Dip half the biscuits into the coffee mixture for about 2-3 seconds on each side and line the base of the dish. Top with half the mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle with half the frozen berries. Repeat the layering using the remaining biscuits, coffee and mascarpone mixture. Gently smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight (see Tips above). About 1 hour before serving sprinkle with the remaining frozen berries. Dust lightly with cocoa just before serving if liked.
- This tiramisu can be made in any 8-cup x 7–8cm deep serving dish—round or rectangle it doesn’t really matter. It’s best to make the tiramisu the day before for the layers to firm and flavours develop. Sprinkle with the remaining frozen berries about 1 hour before serving – the berries hold their shape and look much better. It’s best to use good-quality espresso coffee –for ease buy it from a café!
- Health Tip – replace mascarpone with 300g of fresh low fat ricotta cheese and 200g of reduce fat vanilla yoghurt. PER SERVE: 1052kJ, protein 9.1g, total fat 6.7g (sat. fat 3.3g), cholesterol 107.7mg, carbs 36.3g, fibre 1.5g, sodium 179mg. GI Estimate: High
- 770kJ, protein 6g, total fat 28.4g (sat. fat 17.6g), cholesterol 179.6mg, carbs 34.4g, fibre 1.5g, sodium 126mg. GI estimate: High