Mixed Berry & Buttermilk Muffins
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 300g bag Creative Gourmet frozen Mixed Berries
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup rice bran oil (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Icing sugar mixture, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Lightly grease 6 holes of a Texas muffin pan with oil and line with muffin wraps (see tips) or patty cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bi-carb and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar. Place frozen berries onto a dinner plate. Cut large strawberries into quarters. Reserve ½ cup frozen berries and stir remaining berries into dry ingredients.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a jug until well combined. Using a large metal spoon, add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar and top with remaining berries and serve.
- Café-style muffin wraps are available from supermarkets and kitchen ware shops. Spraying the pan with oil, helps the paper wraps to hold firm whilst the muffin mixture is spooned into them.
- Rice bran oil is high in antioxidants (like vitamin E) and gives the muffins a lovely light texture. If preferred, you can use extra light olive oil, grape seed or sunflower oil.