Caramelised Pineapple with Rum & Raisin Ice Cream
Prep Time 30 min
Cook Time 25 min
For The Caramelised Pineapple and Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Creative Gourmet Frozen Pineapple Pieces,
- 75ml rum
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml water
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
For The Rum and Raisin Ice Cream
- 115g raisins
- 115ml rum
- 8 free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- 400ml full-fat milk
- 400ml double cream
- For the caramelised pineapple, heat a frying pan until hot and place the pineapple into the pan.
- Fry the pineapple on each side for 1-1½ minutes until just beginning to go brown. Remove the pineapple from the pan and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Add the rum to the pan and carefully tip the pan towards the flame of the hob, so that the alcohol catches alight. When the flame has subsided, add the sugar and water and cook until a caramel colour and slightly thickened. Add the black pepper and then set aside.
- For the rum and raisin ice cream, place the raisins into a small saucepan and add the rum. Place on the stove with low heat to warm. Once warm, remove from the stove and set aside for 15 minutes for the raisins to plump up.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Place the milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour the hot milk slowly and in small quantities into the egg mixture and whisk well, then pour back into the saucepan and return to the heat.
- Add the cream, rum, caramelized pineapple and soaked raisins and continue to cook, over a low heat, until thickened, but do not boil. Cool and then transfer the custard to an ice cream machine to churn (according to manufacturer’s instructions).