Blackberry & Apple Free Form Tart
- 2 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tbs icing sugar mixture + extra for dusting
- 200g chilled unsalted butter, chopped in cubes
- 1/3 cup iced water (approx.)
- 300g Creative Gourmet frozen Mixed Berries.
- 800g can pie apple
- 1/3 cup caster sugar + 1 tbs extra for sprinkling pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Thick cream or vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- To make pastry, place flour, icing sugar and salt in a food processor. Process to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With processor running, add water and briefly process until pastry clumps (add extra water if necessary). Form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 30cm tart pan pan or pizza tray with baking paper.
- Combine frozen berries, apple and sugar in a large bowl. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to form a 35cm circle. Lay pastry over base of prepared pan. Brush base with egg. Place berry mixture into centre of pastry, leaving a 6cm border. Fold pastry edges into toward the centre to partially encase fruit (press pastry to seal any cracks if necessary). Brush with egg and sprinkle with extra caster sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes until pastry is golden. Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate or board. Dust with icing sugar. Slice and serve with thick cream or vanilla ice-cream.
- Spoon the frozen berry apple mixture into the unbaked tart shell forming a small peak in the centre as the berries will collapse with cooking. Be gentle when rolling the pastry, turning it around often, and try to only roll in one direction (instead of back and forth) to keep the pastry tender. Make sure the pastry is well sealed to prevent berry juices from escaping.
- For a healthier version, with half as much fat, use 1 1/3 cup plain flour, 1 cup wholemeal flour, replace the butter with 40% reduced-fat sunflower spread and reduce 1/3 cup sugar down to 2tb adding extra granulated sugar substitute if required for sweetness (Per serve: 1401kJ, protein 6.1g, total fat 11.4g (sat. fat 1.9g), cholesterol 22.4mg, carbs 49.5g, fibre 6.6g, sodium 42.9mg. GI estimate: medium).
- 1895kJ, protein 6.1g, total fat 22.1g (sat. fat 14g), cholesterol 86.4mg, carbs 56g, fibre 5.3g, sodium 42.9mg. GI estimate: medium