Mixed berry compote
- 500g bag Creative Gourmet frozen Mixed Berries
- 1/3 cup fresh apple juice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry roasted or blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pepitas (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup rice bran oil or sunflower oil
To serve, thick natural yoghurt
Products Used In This Recipe:
Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. To make compote, place frozen berries, apple juice and caster sugar into a medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes until just warmed through. Set aside to cool.
2. To make granola, combine oats, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Add maple syrup and oil, stir until granola mixture is evenly coated. Spoon evenly onto 2 lightly greased baking trays lined with baking paper. Bake granola, lightly tossing once, for 25-30 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool completely on trays.
3. To serve, spoon granola into serving bowls or glasses, top with yoghurt and spoon over the mixed berry compote.
Per serve: 2622kJ, protein 12.3g, total fat 45.6g (sat. fat 3.8g), cholesterol 0mg, carbs 42g, fibre 9.7g, sodium 7.1mg. GI estimate: low
Health tip – if you want a quicker and lower energy breakfast option, try a natural muesli, skipping the oil and baking process, and halving the nuts taking it down to
Per serve: 1525kJ, protein 8.5g, total fat 18g (sat. fat 1.8g), cholesterol 0mg, carbs 41g, fibre 7.7g, sodium 6.4mg. GI estimate: low
If you want a quick and low energy option, try a natural muesli, skipping the oil and baking process, and halving the nuts.
Make the granola up to 2 weeks in advance and store in an airtight container at room temperature. Store the berry compote in the fridge for up to 5 days. It’s then ready to serve for a nutritious breakfast.
Pepitas are pumpkin seeds with the husks removed.