For the chocolate meringue;
- 6 eggwhites, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbs cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the topping;
- 500ml thickened cream, whipped
- 300g bag Creative Gourmet frozen Mixed Berries
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
Products Used In This Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 150C. Draw a 23cm circle on a 30cm sheet of non-stick baking paper and place on a large baking tray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until firm peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, adding a tablespoonful at a time and beating well after each addition, until meringue is stiff, glossy and the sugar has dissolved (this will take about 5-7 minutes). Sift over the cocoa, cornflour and sprinkle with vinegar. Beat on low speed until evenly combined, scraping down sides of the bowl.
- Spoon mixture onto the circle on the paper and smooth to form a cake shape. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 90C and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until crisp and firm on the top. Turn oven off and leave pavlova in oven with the door ajar until cool.
- To serve: Place frozen berries onto a tray and leave at room temperature until just defrosted (about 10 minutes on a warm day). Place the pavlova onto a serving platter. Top with whipped cream and berries. Lightly dust with cocoa and serve.
Per serve: 931kJ, protein 3.6g, total fat 9.7g (sat. fat 6.4g), cholesterol 29.3mg, carbs 31.2g, fibre 0.8g, sodium 55.4mg. GI estimate: Medium
- You can make the meringue up to 1 day in advance and store it in a cool dry place overnight. It’s fragile so handle carefully.
- It’s best to top the pavlova with the cream and berries no more than 1 hour before serving.
- Health Tip – for a lower fat alternative replace thickened whipped cream with 500g low fat vanilla fruche. (Per serve: 50kJ, protein 7.2g, total fat 0.6g (sat. fat 0.3g), cholesterol 2.5mg, carbs 36g, fibre 0.8g, sodium 55.4mg. GI Estimate: Medium)